Friday, December 23, 2011

Morale - when things go wrong...

2 December 2011


The night before last night we went to the grand opening of the new yacht club wet deck. It was a fine evening with fair weather so sitting outside by the water was very pleasant indeed. Lola became quite engrossed in conversation with Michelle who is sailing with her three daughters and her husband on a classic monohull made from bamboo. The boat has beautiful lines but isn’t for me since the maintenance must be an absolute nightmare. As I sat watching all the different characters around me I felt a little removed not being involved in any of the conversations but rather just sitting on the sideline. This made me think that perhaps I am not a very interesting person since I haven’t got any stories to tell or maybe I just wasn’t in the mood to make small talk. Still I quite enjoyed the evening feeling as if I wasn’t really there like a spectator to a sporting event on television as opposed to a participant.



Yesterday we managed to fit the new starboard bow and glassed in on from the inside. What a messy and uncomfortable job. The space inside is really small and I could barely fit inside. Lola had to wet out the cloth on Rauens bed, then pass it to me in this cramped excessively hot little space. I had to contort my body into different shapes and make the glass stick to the underside of the new deck piece. After an hour or so I couldn’t breathe from the fumes in there and had to get out. We managed to get it all done though except for the cross beam that just wouldn’t stick and kept falling down bringing with it all the fibreglass pieces that we were using to attach it.

Today it is raining again which is probably a good thing since my arms and my legs are covered in tiny little itchy red bumps.



03 Dec. 11

We managed to laminate the glass on the outside of the starboard bow and she is looking good. Still have one or two spots that need glass then we can apply fairing compound, sand fair paint and replace all the cleats and stainless steel. At the moment she looks a bit like a shipwreck with all the repairs unpainted but will return to her former glory once we paint.



09 Dec. 11

The rain that started yesterday and is still pouring into the boat today has revealed more leaks with the old leaks that we thought we repaired still leaking. Kyle’s bed is soaked again and the water is running like a small river down the inside of his newly installed ceiling becoming a waterfall at the ceiling joints and creating a dam in the middle of his bed and all across his pillows. I am so close to just giving up on this stupid piece of sh*t that it’s not even funny. Nobody seems to be able to give advice that actually solves the leaks and everybody changes their advice on a daily basis. Today they tell you to use one product and the next day that product is useless so why are you using it? It seems there is no answer to boat leaks even huge waterfalls like in Kyle’s room don’t have an obvious point of entry like a visible crack or hole. I mean you should surely be able to see where this water is coming from but no such luck. I am even considering charging an entry fee to people to come and view the waterfall it is so spectacular yet at the same time making me feel clueless and incompetent.
Kyle's new hatch
Working on a boat is always comfortable and easy
The start of our new dolphin nose

No comments:

Post a Comment