Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Health comes first

12 Mar. 12


Today both Lola and I went to see a doctor. Our health hasn’t been as good as it normally is. Lola developed a rash some time ago and now it has gone septic with huge boils that are popping and running down the back of her legs and on her side. We thought it was stress related with the lifting and moving of the boat so hoped it would go away with a little topical cream. It only got worse so we eventually did the doctor thing.

My forearms have been in a lot of pain since we installed the solar panels and without taking pain killers I am unable to even lift my coffee cup without flinching.

The doctor that we saw for Kyle’s arm was an attractive female doctor and I hoped we would get to see the same doctor again. Not just because she was attractive but also because she was female. This would have been less embarrassing for Lola and way more fun for me. But alas this wasn’t to be and we seen a gentleman doctor instead. Anyway, he prescribed a course of antibiotics for Lola and some steroids for me. We hope the medication works, but only time will tell.

14 Mar. 12

It’s our fourth night spent on the water and I had to have the “obligatory” we are sinking dream. This isn’t the first time I had this kind of dream, once before when we owned our previous boat I woke up believing that she was going under. Last night I woke up so confused after the dream that I dismissed any other thoughts besides that we were still on land. My mind still believed that we were on land this morning when I woke up. Looking out through our bedroom portlight (window) I used to face the direction of the marine store. The owner of the store repaired boats outside his shop. A familiar site of one boat in particular that was standing there for a long time whilst we were on the hard used to greet me whenever I looked out our bedroom portlight. This was the sight my mind expected to see this morning and for a few minutes my mind couldn’t understand what it was seeing. I blinked a few times and tried to focus through the window at the unrecognisable sites outside and just couldn’t understand where I was or why everything appeared so unfamiliar.

15 Mar. 12

There is absolutely no wind this morning and I can see the reflections of the boats surrounding us in the water. The sky is clear with small patches of cloud scattered sparsely above my head. On the distant horizon towards the south some fluffy cumulus clouds are instructing me that this afternoon may bring rain. The fresh silence that the morning brings enchants my mind and I sit quietly listening to the sounds of nature. An occasional fish momentarily breaks the surface of the flat calm water causing small ripples to run across the surface distorting the water’s perfect mirror image. An assortment of birds chirps away excitedly to each other in the surrounding tree tops. I can even catch the sound of my own breath if I listen for a moment. Yes I definitely enjoy these early mornings.

17 Mar. 12

It’s been so easy to forget why we decided to go sailing in the first place when we where sitting on the hard working like slaves trying to fix the boat. But now, back on the water, when the wind blows and the small waves build up here in the marina. Yrumoar starts to tug at her mooring lines. As she gently rocks my body around, my fantasies are re born and the romantic notion of sailing to the most remote places on earth floods back into my mind. Then I am reminded why.

No comments:

Post a Comment