Sunday, August 25, 2013

Toilet troubles and good friends


19 Aug. 13

Wow, what a great weekend. On Saturday morning Gavin, Lola’s 2nd cousin came to pick us up and took us to a place called Lavender Blue for breakfast. An awesome venue set in the countryside with a few tables placed around a water feature. His wife Marlene met us there and we all enjoyed a good breakfast. When we left Lola and Kyle went with Marlene to the mall and Rauen and I went with Gavin to the spar to buy some meat for a braai at their place. On route Gavin’s cell rang and he answered while I grabbed the steering wheel and steered the car. Typical man stuff, Gavin working the pedals whilst concentrating on his conversation with me negotiating the road. Yes I know, First for woman insurance gives woman a better rate, but men have much more fun so don’t really mind the extra payments.
 

I followed Gavin around in the Spar as he picked out the best cuts for the braai. When we got to the tills he swiped his card to pay and the teller tried to pass him his bill. He waved his hands at her and said “If you give me that slip I will put all this stuff back in your shelves and walk out of your shop.” I laughed but understood exactly why he did it. If you look at the price of food nowadays you will stop eating and want to grow all your own food.

They live in possibly the best neighbourhood in East London and for the first time since we arrived here I liked the neighbourhood and the houses. That evening we met Gavin’s sister Doreen and her husband Nick, had a fantastic braai and a few drinks before going to bed in their spare room. In the morning we helped them move around some furniture before Doreen fetched us for a potjie pot at their house. We spent the afternoon at their place and they brought us back in the early evening. When we arrived home at Yrumoar we invited them on board for a cup of coffee. After doing the grand tour of our home we sat in the cockpit drinking coffee and I noticed “the look” appear on Nick’s face. I have seen “the look” before on many people’s faces, perhaps even on my own at some point in the past. That distant far away look that tells you someone is dreaming about places never seen before waiting to be discovered somewhere over the horizon.

 




21 Aug. 13

We have pretty much done everything we wanted to do here so the time has come to find a weather window. We could’ve left yesterday but my book still hasn’t arrived and we have to collect it before we go. I still want to do some reinforcing in our starboard hull by adding a few layers of fibreglass in the bilge. It’s not mission critical but the hull creaks as we head through the waves and I would be more comfortable if it didn’t. I am sure that the creaking is due to the damage caused when they dropped Yrumoar in Richards Bay and even though we added a few layers of glass already I think it needs more, another five layers or so should do it.

 

25 Aug. 13

We are still waiting for my book to arrive so I decided to get started on the hull repair and a few other small things. We have a wet locker at the back of the boat and it fills with water when we sail making everything in it soaked. Hence the words “wet locker”. Anyway I grinded around the drain hole and will close it at the same time as adding the glass in the hull making it a “dry locker” instead. Just when I thought I was ready to lay the glass I heard one of the boys in the bathroom struggling to empty the toilet. The toilets take priority over all other repairs and I stopped my work and removed the toilet to service and clean it. It is a regular job on the boat and I have done it more times than I have ever wanted to and hate doing it. Plumbing has always been low on my list and I would never choose the job if I could avoid it. Anyway I removed the toilet and stripped it. Once I had all the pieces separated I discovered the waste water impeller had cracked in half so decided to strip the spare toilet and use its parts to fix the boys one.
 
 
The job took most of the day and it was already late in the afternoon when I had the toilets back in place. I tested the toilet about ten times and it worked. A while later I heard Kyle running and running and running the toilet. I didn’t want to ask him if everything was okay and hoped I was imagining the noise. As he continued running and running the toilet I eventually had no choice but to ask him if the toilet was working. The answer I already knew. So I huffed and groaned down the stairs with a kettle of boiling water and poured it into the blocked toilet flushing it a few times and knocking the pipes against the hull. It worked and the toilet emptied. I tested it another ten times and then I asked Lola to go down and test it and tell me what she thinks I should do. Lola tested it five or six times and came back up and told me she also thinks it is working. So we agreed and forgot about the toilet. Later in the evening Rauen went to the toilet and guess what, yes you guessed it, it did not flush. This time my boiling kettle water trick didn’t work either and I had to strip the pipes. Stripping the pipes is not as easy as it sounds as they fit together very snuggly and require a lot of force to separate them so I grabbed the pipe with all my might and pulled. If I could relate that moment to a movie title it would have to be seconds from disaster. I pulled and twisted and yanked and jerked until finally the pipe suddenly broke loose. I don’t have to mention what happened next but there is a saying that involves a fan that would fit just perfectly. This was not at all what I had in mind for a Saturday evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment