Monday, September 9, 2013

Far away family and long lost friends


02 Sep. 13

My daughter turns 23 today and I can still picture her as the small little girl with her hands up in the air beckoning me to pick her up and carry her around. The time flies by so quickly and sometimes I wish I could turn it back and have her sitting on my arm with her little face close to mine as we walk around the backyard while she points inquisitively at everything around her and I try to name the plants, trees and birds. It would look odd now since she is almost as tall as me and possibly knows the correct names of the things as opposed to the ones I invented but it’s a great dream anyway. I hope to chat to her on Skype sometime today since she is still on the other side of the world and I miss her.   

 


We had some friends come over on Saturday and stayed overnight to get the feel of life aboard Yrumoar. Lola made a roast with vegetables for Sunday lunch and we all ate like pigs. Kenny tried unsuccessfully to land a fish on board and Sharlene chatted away to Lola. The time went by quickly as usual and I hope they enjoyed their visit.   

 

04 Sep. 13

Yesterday I decided to fix our geyser since it hasn’t been working for the last year or so. We haven’t really needed it so it wasn’t a priority but the water down here is cold and the boys are suffering a bit when they wash the dishes. I stripped it piece for piece but couldn’t find anything wrong. The things that light the gas like little spark plugs worked shooting small sparks whenever I tried to get it going but the gas wouldn’t light. I stripped the gas pipe and checked if it was blocked. It wasn’t and I could smell the gas as soon as I removed the pipe. Next I tried to follow the pipe into the geyser and found a solenoid in the line. I took the solenoid out and tested it. It worked. I put it back in and tested the geyser again. Still nothing. I stripped the next thing above the solenoid, a gas adjustment knob. Put it back together and tested the geyser. Nothing. I don’t know why but finally I decided to replace the batteries. In my mind the batteries were working since the little spark plug thingies worked. With the new batteries installed I tested the geyser and it worked. Lunch time had arrived and Lola told me the food was ready. After lunch I tested the geyser one last time to make sure it was actually fixed and it wasn’t working again. I became very frustrated and gave up on the stupid thing. Later in the afternoon Kyle tried to boil the kettle and the stove wouldn’t light. This was when we discovered our gas bottle was empty. With the new bottle installed the geyser worked perfectly. I still don’t understand why I never replaced the batteries the first time the geyser wouldn’t work about a year ago and why I only decided to do it after stripping half the geyser’s guts out. All I can say, if the mind is slow the body must suffer and I am an idiot yet again.

 
This morning we had a pod of dolphins come by for a visit and this afternoon we saw our first seal swimming in the harbour. 


 

07 Sep. 13

A few days ago Marimba sailed into the harbour. We had met Ilene on Marimba in Richards bay when she was struggling to set sail to Simons Town. Marimba had some engine trouble and a bent shaft but it was eventually fixed and she left. We waited a few days for them to settle before we oared over to catch up. It’s fascinating how the sailing community works. In Richards bay we only had one or two quick conversations in passing but now we are like old friends that are reunited after a short absence. Ilene told us about their trip down to Simon’s town and how Mark from Atlantis who was sailing along with them had landed on the shore after his anchor chain snapped in Struis Bay. Sea rescue had pulled him back out to sea and he did eventually get across the Atlantic to Brazil. Ilene had again sailed with Mark on Atlantis in Brazil where they had steering problems and almost had to abandon ship. Apparently Atlantis is now up for sale in Brazil and Mark’s dream has come to an end.

 


Marimba is on her way up to Dar Es Salam but had to make a stop here since Ilene picked up an eye infection somewhere off PE. She invited us aboard for supper and we ate Warthog for the first time. It doesn’t taste like pig and is very stringy like rabbit so I wasn’t sure if I liked it or not but ate it anyway. Maybe it’s just the way they cooked it in a soupy stew with no rice as starch. While listening to her I realised how much sailing she has done in the last year compared to us and I felt like a wimp but I suppose the facts are the facts and I cannot deny them. I am a wimp.

 

09 Sep. 13

Marimba left at five in the afternoon and we blew our fog horn and waved our final goodbye’s as she sailed passed us on her way out the harbour. I sat in the cockpit wondering if we would ever meet again as I watched their progress until their mast disappeared around the corner and out to sea. This sailing life is one filled with farewells and hopes that we may meet again somewhere in an uncertain future.

 
 


 

Nick and Doreen invited us over for another one of Nick’s special potjies and we spent a great afternoon over at their place.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment