Tuesday, October 29, 2013

To sail or not to sail, that is the question


16 Oct. 13

A big 30 knot easterly wind nearly blew the saw out of my hands as I was cutting some wood to repair the seats in one of John’s boats. It was one of those typical nothing is going to work out according to plan days. John told me to repair the seats on his river charter boat and if I need any screws or spares I could find them on his yacht on the hard in the harbour grounds. I carried the broken seats onto the jetty and collected my wood working power tools only to discover the jetty had no power so I had to cut the wood the old fashioned way. By hand. Next I tried to fetch screws from his yacht but as I approached the gate to the harbour the guard stopped me and told me no entry without a permit. At that point I gave up and called it a day.

 19 Oct. 13

I finished making the seats and installed them on John’s harbour tour boat not quite happy with the job I had done since he didn’t give me the products I normally use to do repairs. My mood was glum and Lola noticed it as I moped around on Yrumoar so she asked me what was wrong. I wasn’t sure myself but believed it was because we were still in East London and it was time to go. Lola listened to my sop story then went inside and checked the weather. A window was open to head to PE so we started preparing Yrumoar for the trip and went to the water police to launch our second flight plan. We thought the best time to leave would be about 11 at night but by 2 in the afternoon we became impatient and untied the lines. Even though the sky was covered in clouds and it was a miserable day John told us the sea was flat and he thought the conditions would be good to go. We motored out the harbour and turned to head out about 6 miles offshore to find the current. The sea was “flat” is a relative term in my opinion. Yes it was quite flat compared to our horror trip from Richards Bay to Durban, but it is never “flat” like a dam. A two meter swell was running directly at us and made our outbound journey quite bouncy with our bridge deck slamming the water every third or fourth wave. Then we turned southwest and the swell came from the side. This must be the most uncomfortable position for a cat to sail. The wave arrives and hits you side-on slapping against the side before it lifts the hull up tilting the boat up on one side before slipping under. Once it passes under the hull the bridge deck vibrates as the boat slams back down on top of the wave and then the other hull shoots up into the air tilting the boat the opposite way. It feels like the boat is going to capsize on almost every wave. Anyway this continued for 2 hours before we again gave up and turned around.

 Our second failed attempt made us question yet again if this is what we want to do. We discussed our options with the kids and we all agreed we should sell Yrumoar and fly to New Zealand. Although it is by far the most sensible decision considering our financial position it is not an easy one and soon got the better of us and we spent the day in deep depression with little to say to each other.   
 


 20 Oct. 13

The mood on Yrumoar is still sombre and each of us seems to have withdrawn into our own world. Rauen spends more and more time on his phone and Kyle disappears into his room to play with his teddies. Lola has buried herself deep in a book and I sit alone in the cockpit staring at the water. Two other cruising boats have arrived and one of them has two little kids on board. This makes me feel even more ashamed at our failure so I wasn’t surprised this morning when I woke up with feathers sprouting all over my body. I thought about Darwin and his theory, nature had finally evolved me into a chicken but then I woke up and realised my pillow had torn.
 

21 Oct. 13

Our mood has started to lift and this afternoon we all sat around the saloon table to discuss our options. Each of us has a different feeling about this trip. Lola wants to get to New Zealand but is worried that we may not have enough money to get there on Yrumoar since it would take another year at least. Rauen feels his teenage life is being stolen from him and he is missing out on the social life most other teenagers have. Kyle doesn’t really have an opinion but doesn’t want to go back to real life since he feels he never fitted in socially anyway. And me? Well I feel I have the opportunity in my hands to cross oceans and live my dreams but I’m not sure it will happen. I am not even sure if it’s what I want anyway. So I don’t know, will we continue? Send me your comments, if you have any and perhaps we can be convinced to continue and feel more positive.
 
 


22 Oct. 13

We managed to sell the car we bought in Durban today so have no reason to come back here again. Hopefully getting rid of our “anchor” helps.  

No comments:

Post a Comment