Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Reinventing yourself


07 Jan. 14

Over the festive period we had a visit from the Jones family and very short visit from Keagan afterwards. The weather was perfect for the entire visit and we all enjoyed a great Christmas day together. The Jones family left just before new year and Keagan arrived on a bus from East London the same day. We dragged anchor once again on the day Keagan had to leave, fortunately this time we noticed it quickly and managed to save ourselves before dragging into something. We now have two anchors down and hope they keep us in place. Knysna has a shit anchorage and the holding is obviously not good enough since we keep dragging anchor. Dragging anchor also means working shifts to do anchor watch thus no sleep again. You would think it is safe when you are in a harbour and you can stop worrying about storms and all that scary sailor stuff. Well, yet again, just another one of those mainstay fallacies “they” make you believe.  








Lola, Keagan and I have decided to quit smoking as part of the whole reinvent yourself in the new year thing most people do every year. So far we are winning but it is not an easy habit to break. I have tried and failed many times before. Let’s hope this time is different. So so glad I am not hooked on crack, heroin or one of those serious never able to kick drug habits.

  






10 Jan. 14

And the year is running along as fast as it can. Sometimes I wish I had a brake pedal I could push and it would slow the time down or even make it stop, or perhaps something like a pause button on a dvd. Anyway, it’s been seven days since my last cigarette and it isn’t getting any easier. My dreams have even included the habit and in them Lola fails and starts smoking again thus allowing me to begin again. Funny how my dream wants to make it someone else’s fault.

 
12 Jan. 14

Only two more days till I start work at the motorhome place. I am not sure how it is going to work out since I haven’t worked for a boss in the last twenty odd years. I have somehow always managed to find a way to employ myself, not always successfully and with good profits, but it has allowed my time to be my time. Now my time will belong to someone else and I will be on the clock, don’t know if I can handle it. I did try it once before a long time ago during a “dry spell” in my self-employment days when money was rather tight. It only lasted for two and a half days when I couldn’t do it anymore and had to quit. Hope it goes better this time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment