Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Remembering Bluefin

Took one of our employees to the Mugg and Bean this morning, for coffee, to explain our plan to him and hopefully where he fits into the greater scheme of things. Lola put our 24’ Vivacity up for sale on Gumtree, this is the South African version of E-Bay, last night and this morning I received a call from a guy to enquire about moving her to Midmar dam in Natal. I explained that she is a twin keeler and can easily be placed on a trailer. He told me he would contact me next week Thursday as he is coming up to gangsters paradise (Gauteng Province) on business, and to view her. It will be a sad moment in my life to let her go as she has provided me and the family with many happy memories, and also some much needed experience as to what owning and sailing a yacht is about. I did my first solo sail on her last year and went around the island on the Vaal. She also taught Lola to cook excellent meals on board whilst under sail both on a braai and on her gimballed gas stove. She taught me that you can point her closer to the wind than the wind instrument allows and still make good headway. She taught me how to use teamwork in the family in order to dock on a windy day without sinking and damaging other boats next to me. Yes she will definitely be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment