Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Calling all Emo followers

20 Jan. 12


Time roars on towards the end of January heralding the end of the first month of 2012 with us no closer to the water than we have been for the last six or seven months. Today is the last day that my daughter will be visiting and tomorrow she will undertake the long trek back to Pretoria and back to the reality of big city life. Yesterday we woke up early and went for a row down the channel and across to Pelican island. Then we had dunky eggs for breakfast and headed off to the tattoo parlour at Tuzi Gazi waterfront. For years now we discussed getting a small tattoo together and we decided on the little boy fishing from the moon that is the DreamWorks logo. Once long ago we tried to find an astrological body that we could look at anytime we missed each other even though we may be on other sides of the earth. The stars are an option but since neither of us knows to much about them the moon became the obvious choice. Some nights however there is no moon or it may be overcast hence the moon tattoo which will be carried around on our arms easily available when required. Last night we had a pizza party and made five different pizzas which turned out really tasty and made for a most enjoyable evening. Right now it is raining again so we will probably watch a movie on the boat. I am not looking forward to tomorrow but don’t want to type about that yet and wish to remain in denial for the day.

23 Jan. 12

“And then one day, just like that, she was gone.” It’s a quote from my favourite movie of all time, Forest Gump, and it was a thought banging around in my head repeating itself over and over again for most of the day yesterday. My daughter stayed one extra day before she left and still there just is never enough time. The extra day just flew by like a high speed freight train in front of my eyes and then she was gone, just like that. I feel as if I am grieving the loss of a loved one and didn’t prepare myself well enough for this. I know that in the future I will see them again but the future is so uncertain at this moment that my heart cannot accept this and move on. The saying goes, “time heals all wounds” hopefully this is true.

24 Jan. 12

Finished painting the bridge deck this morning so that repair can be ticked off the list. Still need to make scuppers, fix the port bow, repair the rudder and a bit of painting here and there. We are going to attempt to get back in the water within the next two weeks. Hopefully we succeed and get on our way soon after. Right now it’s raining again so I am sitting indoors typing this blog. I know my kids read the blog occasionally but I sometimes wonder if anybody else ever happens to stumble across it. The last few inserts have been a bit emotional so I may have attracted some emo followers.

No comments:

Post a Comment