Tuesday, April 24, 2012

On the road...or sea!

21 Apr. 12


Yesterday we motored around in the harbour looking for the last time at the big ships on the docks. We watched them as they slowly sank deeper into the water as hundreds of kilometres of conveyor belts fed their hungry bellies with tons and tons of black coal. The coal dust drifted across the harbour and settled on everything in the surrounding area including the inside of our lungs. On our way back we entered Tuzi Gazi for the last time and said goodbye to the waterfront area that has been our home entertainment for the past year or so. Before returning to our walk on we decided to drop an anchor just outside the channel and spend the night at anchor. Lola and Rauen paid out the chain and dropped the anchor overboard. We waited for the anchor to bite into the ground and spin the boat into the wind. This never happened and we just slowly dragged the anchor whilst we drifted sideways to the wind into the channel. So they hoisted the anchor and I motored us out of the channel. Again Lola and Rauen dropped the anchor and we waited. Again we drifted. I went to the front and Lola and I spat a few words at each other without any solution. They lifted the anchor again and I motored back out of the channel for the third attempt. Again we drifted. At this point we gave up and motored back to our walk on. This morning we replaced the 30 pound CQR anchor with a 60 Pound Bruce anchor. We bought the heavier Bruce some time ago but were trying to sell it. Although I wanted a heavier anchor the Bruce required boat modifications in order to carry it. I had just been too lazy to do the modification. Luckily nobody had made us an offer yet. Now the boat has been modified and I am actually happier even though it made me work, which I am not too happy about. I hurt my back muscles, broke two brand new large drill bits and a drilling machine whilst modifying the anchor.

On a more serious note we are still waiting for our SAMSA papers and the famous ships plaque has, without inspection, now been securely fitted, using Prestik.

22 Apr. 12

I decided to stop drinking brandy in the evenings for a while to see if it helps with the pain in my arms. My arms have been in pain since January and at this point I am becoming a bit desperate so I am willing to try anything that may solve the problem. Having no brandy in the evenings creates problems of its own. We used to sit happily in the cockpit having a couple of sundowners, the more sundowners, the happier, and that was our simple entertainment for the evening. Now I find sitting in the cockpit without the sundowners isn’t as much fun and we get bored. I also want to snack all the time. So last night, after three of four nights in a row with no sundowners, we headed via taxi to Jacks Corner. We all enjoy the atmosphere at Jacks and the view of the harbour mouth and ocean is spectacular creating a good feel to the place. Because we haven’t been out for a while and since it will be our last visit to Jacks, we all pretty much pigged out ordering starters, mains and deserts. It was a good sober evening.

This morning I woke up just before five. Now as I type this the sky has turned red announcing the arrival of the sun. It reminded me of the saying “red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in the morning, sailors warning”. Quite appropriate today since we are expecting the wind to switch from north east to south west some time during the course of the day.

24 Apr. 12

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. Our journey is about thirty thousand miles but will begin with the first 88 miles or so tomorrow. Yes we are eventually going to escape Richards bay and start our actual trip. Our first leg will be down to Durban. According to the weather prediction the south westerly wind will swing around sometime tomorrow and the north easterly will begin. On Friday the south westerly will make its return. Durban will get the south westerly about six hours before it arrives here in Richards bay. This should allow us a weather window of about 48 hours. We should take between ten and twenty four hours according to my calculations. But since this is our first trip, and I am not really sure how accurate my calculations are, I have given us a 24 hour leeway in case things don’t go according to plan.

On a personal note we have met lots of people down here and made some really good friends. Some of these I am really going to miss. Others not so much. I would like to mention a few that made a difference. Dylan is possibly the one person that supported us the most with his knowledgeable help and assistance. He came as if called at the times when we seemed to need him the most. I don’t really know how I am going to repay him for all his advice and assistance. I am a little bit confused how he knew we needed him at times and started suspecting him of having hidden spy cameras on our boat. Perhaps he just had a sixth sense.

There are many others like the cute friendly ladies in the marine store that made our many visits to Pro Radio and Marine much more pleasant. Fiona in the yacht club office that was always willing and able to assist, scanning and faxing documents all over the place. The slightly strange but interesting family from sea shoes. In fact ninety percent of the people that we met here at ZYC. And since there are about thirty people here, the three of you that irritated me should know who you are.

It is easy to understand how you could get trapped here and never leave. The setting is absolutely beautiful, the weather mostly fantastic, and the people friendly and helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment