Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Departure Day

25 Apr. 12


The big day has arrived. The day we cast the mooring lines and set sail on our great adventure halfway around the globe. Yrumoar isn’t quite as ready as she could be but I don’t believe that any boat is ever ready. I can’t quite find the words to explain how I feel but the small butterflies in my stomach are creating quite a storm.

Yesterday we went to Tuzi Gazi to clear out at the water police and afterwards we made our way to SAMSA to collect our ships papers that we are still waiting for. SAMSA has stunning offices which explains where all our money goes. Unfortunately the money seems to be wasted on nice offices and furniture and not on any actual useful purpose. It was thus no surprise to me when we found that our ships papers have been lost by SAMSA. We waited in their offices for about an hour whilst the SAMSA captain floated about from office to office rummaging from one pile of messy papers to the next. The same stupid expression came on his face each time he discovered that he has no idea what he is doing. He just kept on searching uttering the same words over and over. “I haven’t seen this papers for this boat” I haven’t seen this papers for this boat” I haven’t seen this papers for this boat” It must have surprised him each time he had this epiphany. Lola kept giving me a reprimanding glance and whispering under her breath for me to calm down. I tried to remain calm and obey her requests but in a moment of weakness obviously caused by the steroid medication I am taking at the moment, I faltered. It also didn’t help that Lola decided to go outside for a cigarette break and was no longer there with her leash to control the mad dog inside me. In that moment of unguarded weakness the dog took control and I barked at the “captain”. The memory is a bit hazy but I believe my words went somewhere along these lines. “you people are a waste of time and don’t have a clue what you are doing” “I have cleared out at the water police and I am leaving tomorrow irrelevant of these papers” “if you ever manage to find the papers you can use them to wipe your ass” “I will be back here in the morning with my jerry can filled with petrol to burn your offices down” then I left their office.

So today we will leave. I am not sure if SAMSA is going to stop us or not but we will find out soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment