Monday, May 21, 2012

1st time in a new town

17 May 2012


Yesterday we decided to venture out of the yacht club and into the Bluff to find out how far and what shops were available. We called a taxi service and asked what the price would be from the bluff yacht club to the nearest shopping mall. The female voice on the phone informed us that it would cost R50 bluff to bluff. So we went ahead and ordered the taxi. An old man in an even older golf arrived about an hour later. The golf spluttered and jerked to a halt in front of us. Parts of the car were unpainted and the bonnet was black with the rest of the car mostly dirty white. Small signage appeared on the back passenger window stating that this was indeed our taxi. We looked at each other for a minute then decided we would take the chance and got into the taxi. The old man made a u-turn in between the constant flow of trucks that made their way down the road that runs past the club. As we approached the next intersection a police man jumped out and instructed the taxi driver to pull over to the side of the road. The old man obeyed the instruction and the following conversation began.

Police man, “Can I see your drivers license please?”

Old man, “No, I don’t have it with me”.

Police man, “Why don’t you have it with you?”

Old man, “Don’t know! Forgot it somewhere.”

Police man, “Do you know that you have to have your drivers license on you at all times when you are driving”

Old man, “Yes”

Police man, “and why are you not wearing your seat belt?”

Old man, “I just left my office a second ago and haven’t had time to put it on”

Police man “Where is your office?”

Old man “just down there”

Police man “where?”

Old man “just over there, around the corner”

Police man, “Where which corner?”

Old man, putting on his seat belt, “just over there”

Police man “do you know that this is a national key points place”

Old man “I am just so sorry man”

Police man “I could give you a big fine right now”.

Old man, “yes it’s at my office just down there”

Police man “for not having a license and for not wearing your seat belt”

Old man “but my office”

Police man “next time you come past here make sure you have these things”

Old man “office, oh okay”

Police man “now go”

And off we went at an alarming speed spluttering and jerking all the way to the nearest mall. When we stopped at the mall I asked him how much we owed him to which he replied. R120. I looked at him for a minute then turned around and looked at Lola. We were both flabbergasted but I took out my wallet and passed him R150. He then told me he didn’t have any change. I was still deciding what to do about this dilemma when he said, “just give me one hundred for now and when you call me to take you back I will have change to give you”. I said okay and we all got out of the taxi. Instantly Lola informed me that we will not be calling that taxi service again and I agreed.



After buying some Biltong and walking around the mall for a while we walked across the road to another mall. At this mall we found a hardware store and bought some boat stuff. Then we had a pie and waffles for lunch.

After lunch we decided to walk back to the yacht club. We had walked about half way when we found a small bar and sat down for a break and some cokes. Some guy came over and introduced himself as Eddie. He told us that he was the singer at this bar on a Saturday night. He also thanked God and his parents for this ability since he didn’t know anything else. Eddie was quite intoxicated and I believe that he had been drinking since quite early in the morning, but his slightly slurred conversation wasn’t that annoying and he made for some interesting entertainment.

When we had finished our cokes and got up to leave another guy dressed in an airforce uniform came over and said, “Sorry I didn’t mean to eavesdrop but did you guys say you live on a boat?” I replied yes and he started asking all kind of questions about the boat. During this conversation one of us mentioned that we didn’t have a car and were planning on walking back to the boat. He instantly offered to give us a lift instead. We walked over to his car and Lola got into the back seat with Rauen and Kyle. I got into the front passenger seat whilst he was still saying goodbye to another one of his friends. Lola lent over and tapping me on the shoulder she asked, “Can you unlock and open your door from the inside.” I couldn’t help bursting into laughter. Lola also laughed at her paranoia but added that she had already checked her doors. This made me laugh even more. The guy introduced himself as Seelan and we invited him and his family to join us later in the evening on the boat since he found it very difficult to believe that we lived on a boat.

Seelan dropped us at the gate and called me later to ask if our invitation still stands. I said of course and he arrived about an hour later with his wife and three daughters. We had a great evening showing them the boat and chatting. None of them had ever been on a boat before so they were easily fascinated. Seelan said they would invite us over some time to their home and then he would teach us how to make a proper Indian curry. I love curry so am excited about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment