Friday, January 11, 2013

Invited and uninvited guests


07 Jan. 13
This choice of life has so many ups and downs. The ups over December was the two visits by Amy and Keagan. They arrived near the beginning of the month and would only stay for a few days, about a week or so. The sudden surprise trip to Mauritius however seen Keagan leaving a day before he was due to leave, and made Amy stay longer since her and Dean accompanying us on the trip. Getting Amy onto the trip was an event all of its own. Her passport had lapsed and she had to apply for a temporary one which she managed to get just a few hours before departure. To add to her and our trauma her car broke down the night before we were due to leave on her way back from the airport to collect Dean. This left us in a predicament since Keagan was going to use her car to get back to Johannesburg. As we were out of time and our options were limited, Keagan took our car in the morning. We decided to ignore the problem until we came back so we left Amy’s car at the bluff Yacht club waiting on our return. At some point during all this I had to inform my X and this conversation went from nice, calm, and civil, to screaming argument in five seconds flat as only conversations about money with X’s can turn, leaving me with anger issues that I still haven’t managed to deal with.  Dealing with the X over the last few years had become amicable and at times even pleasant. I felt she had forgiven me for my misguided youth that lead to the final breakdown in our relationship and that we had eventually become friends. This argument however made me realise just how fragile such a friendship can be.




Amy and Dean caught the Greyhound bus back to Johannesburg and Keagan drove down with our car to visit and wait for the repairs to Amy’s car. This gave me a second visit with Keagan and we spent an enjoyable New Years Eve watching fireworks from the cockpit of Yrumoar.

The car was eventually “fixed” and Keagan attempted his return journey yesterday. I say attempted because it wasn’t successful and he had to leave the broken down car in Montrose about halfway into his journey. My X had to drive down and collect him there. Since she isn’t communicating with me at the moment I don’t know what is going to happen next.

Besides the multitude of flies and mosquitoes we also had another visitors on Yrumoar. One morning whilst sitting drinking coffee in the cockpit I noticed a movement right next to the cushion I was sitting on from the corner of my eye. As every other brave man would do I instantly jumped up and stood about two metres away in a perfect Ninja defensive position scanning the area, fully prepared to take on any intruders. The intruder noticed my threatening stance and swiftly found a hiding place behind the cushion I had been sitting on just seconds ago. But unfortunately for him my years of military training kicked in and I leapt forward grabbing away the cushion and thereby eliminating his safe hiding place, leaving him helpless and in full view. Now that I knew exactly what I was up against I shouted for Lola, my faithful and always willing companion. When she appeared in the cockpit I instructed her to pass me the weapon of mass destruction. She shot me a confused look and questioned me with the words, which weapon of mass destruction do you want this time. I instantly understood her confusion and told her the weapon of mass destruction that also doubles up as a dustpan and little broom. Oh, and adding to that I also told her to bring the camera so that we would be able to document proof of our intruder before I disposed of him. The intruder fought bravely for a full minute before I finally managed to overpower him and retreat his brave little armoured body back overboard. How he managed to get on board is still a bit of a mystery, but I suppose with his tiny claws and obviously mean climbing skills I shouldn’t be surprised if he attempts another invasion soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment