Friday, January 11, 2013

New year and a monster snail


08 Jan. 13
Living at the mercy of a battery is not half as much fun as it would seem. Every night before we can go to sleep we have to check the battery power and do a quick calculation to determine if there is enough power to last us through the night. If we have enough, great, no problem, unless we are expecting rain in the morning of course. If we don’t have enough well, then we have to decide what we can switch off, usually the fridge first, sometimes the fridge and freezer. This doesn’t seem like such a big deal, however the freezer may defrost overnight and then we have to toss all the food or eat it all in one day. Even on a good full sun day we are still a bit shy on power. Our current MPPT charge controller can handle a maximum of forty amps. If we added two more 85 watt panels our system would be at its maximum. If we need any more than that we would have to upgrade our MPPT charge controller to the next size up. It never seems to end.      

09 Jan. 13
It is fascinating just how quick the time rushes by, one minute it is January, and the next it is December and Christmas. I feel a bit despondent about this dream trip at the moment considering it has taken us nearly two years to move about eighty miles.




I thought by now we would be halfway across the world. But still here we sit. I called a friend Dave at new years, he joked with me stating that we are obviously not in a hurry. Wow if that was just the truth I wouldn’t feel so miserable. The truth however is that our original plan was finite, with a beginning and an end. Our finances had been tailored towards this plan. Now the finances have become a pressing issue. One that has to be addressed before the end of this year when we will be officially broke. This is the primary reason for our extended stay here. Our first plan is for me to finish my book that I started writing about two years ago but haven’t been consistently working at. So now I wake up in the morning, have my regular six or so cups of coffee and a couple of cigarettes. Then I launch the dingy from the back of the dive platform and load my laptop and the two water bottles. Saying goodbye to Lola and the kids I head off for the yacht club. When I get to the other side of the channel I tie up the dingy onto the walk-on. Next I take my laptop and walk to the yacht club where I can plug into power and type. If we had enough power on the boat I would stay on the boat in the spare room and do my work, however, we don’t have enough power so this will be my routine for the next while. I am hoping to finish the book by the end of February. After that Lola will edit it and we can send it to a publisher. If this plan fails,…. Well,…. I am not sure what we will do. Maybe we will look for some kind of work or perhaps start a new business again.       


11 Jan. 13
Yesterday we decided to take a small trip into town to the sugar storage facility near the harbour. We drove passed it a few times and seen a sign offering tours so decided it might be interesting. The tour started at ten and consisted of a brief introduction to the sugar industry as a whole followed by a short video about the industry. The tour guide or public relations representative then took us on a short but informative tour around the facility. Apparently the facility stores enough sugar in its three silos to supply the world’s sugar needs for one year and the sugar industry provides enough work for two percent of the South African population, approximately one million people. Lola said she found it fascinating that so many people worked in the sugar industry and she had never even met one person involved in the industry before. Thinking about what she said for a while I remembered that that I knew someone once a long time ago. This guy used to be one of my instructors when I was in the military. I am not sure if he actually did anything in the industry but someone in his family owned about half of the industry at the time. The original owner of our boat, even though we have never met him, is apparently a sugar cane farmer. So I suppose we do know one person and have heard about another. 



A few days ago we got off the boat and went to have a swim. When we got of the dingy and walked towards the pool Kyle was given the task of rubbish disposal and went towards the dustbin to throw away our rubbish from the boat. We were still heading in the direction of the pool when I heard Kyle get all excited shouting “dad…dad… you have got to come here.” Kyle normally gets a bit excited about everything so I wasn’t in to much of a hurry to get to him and asked him what was wrong on my way over. He got even more excited and shouted “no dad, you just have to see this snail.” At this point my interest level decreased even more as I thought to myself what could be so exciting about a snail. I have seen millions of the little slimy creatures before and unless they were steaming hot and covered in a cheesy garlic sauce, I don’t care much about seeing another one. However, to my surprise this was no ordinary snail. It compared to the giant roaches in Richards Bay and looked like some sort of mutation had taken place. I have never seen such a monster snail. If it was served up as escargot it could almost feed the whole family.

standard snail


Monster snail

No comments:

Post a Comment