Saturday, April 13, 2013

Another year older...another year wiser...or not!


12 Mar. 13

Last night we finally managed to speak to Amy on Skype. She has found a job and is settling in to her new apartment which lifted a weight from my shoulders. I have used Skype before to speak to a friend of mine but he was just down the road and I had been seeing him on a regular weekly basis. So this was different. She is my daughter and is sitting halfway around the world in another country. I also haven’t seen her for almost three months now. It’s weird how it is so different from a normal phone call where you hear a voice and can only imagine their face, not really being able to get a true feeling of their emotions. It made me feel less worried about her having seen her apartment and her demeanour. Knowing that she is well and looks healthy and still familiar is an emotional release. I thank all those computer geeks that invented the internet and Skype. Yesterday they made my day complete.

Yrumoar is a hair salon too!

 24 Mar. 13

Today I am back to feeling uninspired and deflated as I watch my dream to go sailing slowly sinking down the drain. I have had no response to any of my job applications so stopped sending my cv. Everyday Lola and I try to come up with different solutions to the our rapidly diminishing cruising kitty but none of our ideas are working.

 02 Apr. 13

Well today I turned 48 and it was a good day. I received all the obligatory phone calls from everyone that cares and a few from those that don’t really care but feel they have an obligation to call anyway so, like I said, a good day.

 We decided to go away from the boat for the day and into town. Having nowhere to go and nobody here in Durban to visit we decided that we would spend the day at home affairs and the police station. Lola needed to apply for a new passport and we didn’t have anything else to do anyway so it seemed like a good time to visit a few of our fabulous government departments. Someone at the yacht club told us that the home affairs near Amamzimtoti was never busy and that we should try it instead of the busy one in Durban town. We followed his advice and headed to Toti only to discover that everyone from Mozambique in the north, all the way to Cape town in the south of Africa was waiting in a queue about two miles long outside the office in Toti. We took one look at the queue and thanked our lucky stars that we didn’t have to fill in a leave application for the day just to be trapped standing in a queue. Deciding the queue was just too long and we didn’t want to spend our day standing in it, we left and went to the mall in toti instead. Kyle’s birthday is on the 7th and we needed to buy him a present anyway.

After the mall we thought that we should drive past home affairs in town and see if it was busy. It wasn’t, and we applied for Lola’s passport leaving for our next destination, the SAPS, within fifteen minutes. We wanted to apply for police clearance at the SAPS but discovered that we cannot do it in Durban town and have to go to the Bluff police station since we live in the Bluff. By the time we managed to get back to the Bluff it was already late and we decided that tomorrow was another day so came back to the boat instead.

 Back on the boat I decided to have a few brandies to celebrate, or is it forget, I am never sure. Anyway Lola and I sat in the cockpit and I had a few drinks while she drank a few cokes and suddenly I decided that I hate South Africa. Not the people or the land, but the politics. The fact that I am looking for work and have sent my cv to about fifty different places without any response, pisses me off. The fact that I sold my business because I was tired of lying to my customers because the government failed to issue me with a company firearm license for five years, pisses me off. The fact that, when business was good I wanted to diversify and tried to buy a few different franchises I was told that I had to be black or have a black partner, pisses me off.  So now I am sitting on the boat, slowly running out of money to feed my kids and wondering what to do, knowing that whatever I do I cannot do it here in my country of birth because I am simply not welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment